Melissa Ann Goodwin

Melissa Ann Goodwin

Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Reminder of What it's All About

This past weekend, the loveliest thing happened. I got an email from a woman whose 10-year-old daughter had started a book club last year, and the club has grown to 20 girls. Each month, the girls submit three book reviews each and then the group votes on which book to read the next month. And, they picked The Christmas Village! The Mom asked me if I'd be willing to write to the girls and tell them a little about myself and how I came up with the idea for the book.

What a wonderful reminder about why we do this - of course we want our book to SELL, but really, it's because we have created something from imagination and words and our hearts and souls, and we think it is the best of ourselves that we can give, and we want to share it. This girls' book club is what it's all about, and I couldn't be any happier if I sold a hundred books this weekend!

I'd also like to share a book recommendation with you: It's August Farewell by David G. Hallman, and it's a memoir of the16 days between the time his partner, Bill, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and the day he died. But it's more than just that - it's a love story about two people who shared 33 years together, in good times and bad, and in sickness and in health. Hallman tells the 16 days in present tense, so we feel like we are going through it with him. He intersperses that with vignettes from their 33 years together. It's sad and moving and uplifting and spiritual, and it reminds us that, no matter our differences, when it comes to love and loss, we are all very much the same. August Farewell is beautifully written, and I loved it.

I'm thrilled to be highlighting Kai Strand, author of the children's books, The Weaver and Save the Lemmings. We're meeting Kai at an amazing time in her writing career: The Weaver is a finalist in the EPIC e-books awards, and Save the Lemmings ... well, please read my interview with her in the post below to find out Kai's BIG NEWS about that! Her story will give writers everywhere hope!

READ ON ....

13 comments:

  1. Book clubs sound interesting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely reminder of what it's really all about.

    I'd like to recommend a radio show I tune into every week: The Book Report features author interviews, reviews and audio book previews. It really is a fun and informative show. They have a station list and schedule up at http://bookreportradio.com if you are interested. And if you don't mind I will nominate you as an interview/book review candidate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shepherd - I love the name "Bookateers"

    Alison, that would be lovely if you nominated me - thank you. I looked at the site and it looks quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great!
    Thank you also for the recommendation - it does sound like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melissa - remembering your customers is the most important point isn't it .. what a great idea .. the girls will love it - as will the school ..

    Thanks - and good luck with the book - the story line sounds fascinating .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's fantastic, Melissa. I agree it's so great to think of people really connecting with your work like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for coming by and saying hi! I am thrilled and humbled by those little girls!

    E.D. - Its' really a well-written book and a lovely story that is sad, yes, but uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Melissa, wow, that is wonderful about the girls book club! So great that they voted on your book, and also great that the one girl thought to begin the club in the first place.

    Your blog is so neat.

    Thanks so much for stopping by to see me,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A book club or 10 year olds? 20 of them!?! That is just all kinds of awesome! My son (15) loves to read, but my daughter (13) considers it torture of the worst kind. I love how they choose the books too...that is so very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AB, I know! It's so cool isn't it - these wonderful girls who get together to talk about books. I Love Them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the book club, that's wonderful!! What an honor for you, and well deserved. Thanks for the great reminder of why we write!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's really great, Melissa! And how wonderful to hear about young readers starting a book club.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julie & Laura - I feel so honored by that group of little girl readers!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!