Melissa Ann Goodwin

Melissa Ann Goodwin

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

New Year, New Book

2014 was kind of a transition year for me in terms of writing. I took a break from writing fiction and worked instead on our RV self-help book, Tips for New RVers: Catchin' the Dream.


It was a fun way for Dick (aka RVPainter) and me to re-live our year on the road and to put some closure on the experience. We really felt that we were the quintessential "Newbies" when we started RVing and that we learned SO much about what to do and what not to do; what worked and what didn't. It just made sense to us to share that with others in the hope that it would help them avoid some of our mistakes and missteps.

Everyone embarking on an adventure like that will encounter situations that test them, but if we can help make it a little easier for even a few people, well, that would make us feel good. It takes courage to live on the road and I am proud of what we did and grateful for the experiences - the wonderful ones AND the trying ones - because they all taught me that I can do much more than I ever imagined and also taught me a great deal about myself and about letting go. It was truly the experience of a lifetime.

As we glide into 2015, I feel ready to return to my true calling - fiction writing. My next book is actually already started, but it's been setting on the back burner for a while. I needed to put some distance between Return to Canterbury (the sequel to The Christmas Village) and this new book, and to get the RVing book out of my system. I am not a writer who can move quickly from one project to the next, because I create these fictional worlds that I live in for quite a long time, so it takes me a while to move on from them.



Writing Return to Canterbury was bittersweet, because when it ended, I knew that my visits with Jamie, Kelly, Christopher, Ida, Rusty, Reggie and all the characters of Canterbury had also come to an end. They say that endings are beginnings - and they are - but I need to take some time to honor my endings before starting new beginnings.

My next book will be historical fiction. Not a children's book, but more a coming-of-age story that takes place in England at the start of World War II. It's inspired by my mother's experience, which I've written about at this blog in the past. But it's only inspired by it - it's not her actual experience because I know very little about what that was. I think of it as a way of writing the story that might have been. That's the great thing about being a writer, you get to tell the story your way and you get to change the ending. And, you get to get even with mean people by turning them into characters that everyone will love to hate :)

As far as describing the type of book I hope this next one will be - well, think of a cross between All the Light We Cannot See, Orphan Train, and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I know that's a tall order, but I'm aiming high. When I was a kid, my dream was never "to be a famous author;" my dream was "to write the kind of wonderful books that I like to read." That's still my dream. Sure, I'd love for my books to be best sellers, but I want that to be the result of them being wonderful books, not fad books with throwaway story lines that no one remembers a year later. So I'll be entering a new world soon and I expect to get lost there for quite some. Dick gave me a t-shirt once with this saying on it: "I'm in my own little world, but it's okay, they know me here." That pretty much sums it up.

Wishing everyone a Happy and Prosperous New Year. May your dreams come come, and may they be all that you hoped they would be.




11 comments:

  1. Your next book is my kind of reading and the kind of book I too would like to write! Keep us posted on how it develops...and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bookie, I will definitely keep you posted on my progress! I am excited to really dive into the story now and see where it leads me!

      Delete
  2. As a reader, I am incredibly grateful to all the authors who pour their heart, their soul and their energy into creating worlds for me to get lost in.
    Thank you - and I hope your year is filled with love and laughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, E.C. Wishing you a wonderful year too.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the RV book - I'm glad you've had time to relive your wonderful year. I'm looking forward to your new fiction book - that sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annalisa - I do think it will be something you'll like and that will appeal to the U.K. audience. It will take place in Liverpool and in Wales. I feel the tingle of excitement that I need to have to get it going.

      Delete
  4. How cool that you and your husband worked on an RV book together. I can imagine that did help put closer to your year on the road.

    Return to Canterbury must have been an emotional book to write and I am sure it will be a treat for readers.

    I am loving the sound of your HF novel. I am always intrigued by that time period.

    Wishing you a wonderful 2015!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! It really was fun to work on the RV book with Dick. I think I want to write a companion to it that deals with more of the day to day living stuff....Thanks for your well-wishes - wishing you a very Happy 2015 too!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous2/12/2015

    I'm really looking forward to this book in progress. Sounds like it will take some time to put together, but I know from having read your other books that you definitely have the writing skills to do it. Great. Carry on. I am back to blogging again, but only following those I really want to keep in touch with. Being selective I select you. Take care. May the muse move you forward. Cheers, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Ann for getting in touch. I've missed you! I am not blogging often as you can see. I appreciate your kind words and am very excited about this next book. Hugs, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are definitely good reasons to write. Congrats on the RV book and hope your new project is going well.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!