Melissa Ann Goodwin

Melissa Ann Goodwin

Monday, December 3, 2012

A Lovely Sight by the Side of the Road on a Monday Morning

This morning I was on the road early, traveling up to NH for a morning of classroom visits. As I drove along, I was thinking about the state of the world and how frightening it can all seem sometimes. I said a prayer for the world to be a little kinder and to slow down to appreciate the simple pleasures of life.

Along the highway there came a place where the road widened out to accomodate a scenic overlook. A fiery orange sun was just rising over foothills shrouded with morning mist. First I noticed the car that had parked there. Then I noticed something else: An adult sat on the guardrail, facing the foothills. The adult held a child in his or her lap. Both were parka-clad with hoods up, huddled together for warmth in the chilly morning air.

There, on a manic Monday morning, when most of the world was still rubbing its eyes awake and finishing that first cup of coffee during the morning commute, a parent had decided that it was extremely important to share the rising of the sun over the misty foothills of Western Massachusetts with his or her child. It was the most comforting sight, and the memory of it stayed with me throughout the day.





14 comments:

  1. Tears in my eyes! How poignant. Thank you for letting me be there to see this through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had to share it - it was such a sweet and moving moment. And so in sync with what I'd been thinking - like a Sign.

      Delete
  2. That's what life should always be like, right there. Thanks for sharing that, Melissa. You are on a beautiful journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely. And with a start like that in life that child is on the right path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - an understanding of the the joy of simple pleasures, shared with people we love.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12/04/2012

    Oh, just positive, visual scenes you've described, Melissa. I LOVE New England, having lived in Connecticut from 1968 to 1972.

    I finally found your email to me. You had sent it to my Yahoo account that got hacked into MANY months ago, and then I got a gmail account (bestann07 at gmail dot com). I don't go into Yahoo anymore, but I did check it for one more time, and found your message in which you asked me if I would highlight your Christmas novel on my blog. I've been on blogger hiatus for over five months because my daughter had so many problems. She's more stable now, but I still can't blog as much as I used to. However, I don't want to dis-connected from the close friends I've made through Blogger so I'm hoping to post at least once a week.

    I posted a week ago, and now I'm planning a post for tomorrow. Your Christmas Village will be highlighted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ann. I'm sorry it's been a hard year for you and your daughter. I value our friendship too and so I look forward to checking your weekly posts.

      Delete
  5. Melissa you have such a poet's heart and are so inspiringly Zen....especially recently!
    I love receiving the announcement of your postings.
    Last I heard you were in Florida...now it's snowing...must have missed something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley - back to FL from MA tomorrow. I've had 10 wild days of classroom visits and a signing. I'm pooped. Though I definitely felt some zen moments back here - really enjoyed the holiday feeling of New England.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous12/05/2012

    Oh, lovely New England. I lived there from 1968 to 1971 with my first husband. My fourth child was born in Willimantic, Connecticut in 1970. A beautiful place. Loved the woods. In winter I would think of Frost's poem, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. I definitely think one can have zen moments in New England!

    I'm now about to put up the post for today that highlights your book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ann. I am actually MORE Zen in New England, especially in winter. It's been a joy to spend time here before the holidays, with my family and making the school visits. I'm tired, but happy.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful post. Thanks to your amazing way with words I felt like I was there too. Thanks for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!